Cooperation, openness, and mutual benefits are of the basic principles for all humanity in the exploration of the Universe. As a mega-science facilities in China, FAST strictly complies with the Chinese laws and regulations on data acquisition, storage, utilization, and publication, and at the same time follows the international conventions regarding to the usage and management of scientific data.
Following international conventions for large telescope management, FAST data are classified into the following categories:
II．Data Policy in each Category
Policies for using FAST data are formulated based on the data categories listed in the above Section I：
Publications that make use of the FAST data should include the following acknowledgments:
Achnowledgement for publications in Chinese language: “本工作在FAST（500米口径球面射电望远镜）数据基础上完成。FAST是由中国科学院国家天文台运行和管理的国家大科学装置。”
Acknowledgement for publications in non-Chinese languages：“This work has used the data from the Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical radio Telescope ( FAST ). FAST is a Chinese national mega-science facility, operated by the National Astronomical Observatories of Chinese Academy of Sciences (NAOC).”
Publications without proper acknowledgments will have a negative impact on the future observational proposals made by the relevant authors.
(1) In accordance with international conventions, Data Policies for large astronomical telescopes shall fully protect the rights and interests of the funding agencies. As a Chinese mega-science facility fully funded by the Chinese government, FAST should serve the Chinese astronomical community, and the data obtained therefrom shall be shared by astronomical institutions across the country.
(2) Overseas cooperative units or individuals participating in FAST projects through cooperation with domestic units shall reflect this partnership in the acknowledgements of relevant publications.
(3) FAST Operation and Development Center should archive the telescope observational data timely, and regularly publish the information of its data acquisition and data products.
(4) For special cases not covered by the above policies, the FAST Operation and Development Center should propose plans and submit them to the Scientific Committee for discussion and approval before implementation.
(5) Due to bandwidth limitations, it is unpractical to transfer huge amounts of data acquired at the FAST observatory over the internet. Thus, it is encouraged and advised to make direct copies of the released FAST data using hard disks at the FAST Data Center.
This Data Policies shall be interpreted and updated by the FAST Scientific Committee.